Pumpkin Spice Cake
Difficulty Rating: 1 out of 10.
For the Cake:
- 1/2 C. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin-pie spice (or 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 3/4 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp. each allspice and cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 can (15-oz.) solid-pack pumpkin puree
For the Honey Frosting:
- 1/2 C. (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 bar (8-oz.) regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese, very soft
- 1/4 C. honey
Making the Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined.
Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
Turn batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, about 45 minutes.
Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.
Making Honey Frosting:
In a medium bowl, whisk butter, cream cheese, and honey until smooth. Spread top of cooled cake with honey frosting.
Cut cake into squares to serve.